Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Week Nine - Part One

This is the final week of the Web 2.0 course, and hopefully, I'll get it all done before the March 29 deadline.

The first task is straightforward enough. Explore YouTube, find a video to link to, and blog about the site.

There's probably not a lot left to say about YouTube, that epic, copyright-busting, top dog of the Web, as it's a regular favourite of journalists already; who seem to alternate between bemoaning it as an idiotic waste of time dominated by self aggrandising attention seekers, and extolling it in those '10 top YouTube videos for this month!' articles.

I think it offers an intriguing glimpse into human nature. The things people are willing to share, and the things people are willing to watch, reveal some human desires and frailties quite clearly. I don't mean so much the content of what's shared and watched, but rather the motivations behind the sharing, and watching, in the first place.

Anyhoo, here's the philosopher Alain De Botton talking about Schopenhauer's views on romance. Like many YouTube clips, this is very likely still in copyright, so the link may not last forever.

3 comments:

  1. I really think Alain De Botton is so handsome. Thanks for sharing this video!

    Congratulations on finishing the course. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts as you've progressed through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I *will* congratulate you when you do finish the course. I was a bit ahead of myself on a Monday morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes many women I know think De Botton's hot. A nasty columnist from the Guardian (Charlie Brooker, if I remember correctly) once wrote of him that he was a 'great big cherry lipped slaphead balls-ache of a man' which I think is a bit harsh.

    ReplyDelete