Monday, March 22, 2010

Week Eight Part Two

This next task was both easy and enjoyable. It was simply to select one site from the Web 2.0 Award Winners, explore it, and blog about my findings.

Although there are many interesting sites to choose from, I was instantly drawn to Biblio.com, compelled by my terrible desire to buy books over the Internet; well, not terrible in the sense of being sick or bad, but rather in the sense of being very strong and causing me to spend too much money.

Biblio seems to be a slicker version of older sites such as ABEbooks and alibris. I don't see, though, that it has a great deal more functionality than those sites - which are already well established and used by booksellers and book buyers all over the world. Nor do I think the selection is more comprehensive, as rare book dealers usually advertise their wares on every site they can; thus the same dealer will list the same book on various different sites.

However Biblio does have 'browserbility'. Using the top menus on the page it's possible to browse books in various categories, which is nice, yet dangerous, for a cash-strapped bibliophile like myself.

1 comment: